Simple designs for fabric samples

Remember that I bought some outdated sample books recently? I thought I'd try out a couple of ideas to re-purpose them.

The small sample books gave just enough fabric to make small zip top pouches.

The larger sample books provided enough for this style of bag with next to nothing left over. It took two coordinating swatches to make this bag design.

Linen is so easy to work with - it has so much body which is great for this design. Due to the bold, large scale print on the fabric each side is different.

I've plenty more samples to experiment with and it's nice knowing that I gave new life to some gorgeous fabric that may well have ended up in a landfill.

Comments

  1. I love curtain samples. I go into my local curtain shop, where they keep a couple of wash baskets full with them, and just resist so many of them. I am beginning to learn a lot about what types of weaves are good for multiple usage though. I just made a bag for a young lady using 4 different samples for the inside and out which allowd for heaps of pockets. And my daughter has pillowslips on her bed made from $64 a metre fabric bought for 20c a large sample equal to a fat quarter. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty little bags..and a great use for fabric that was meant for landfill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean about the large print. Almost looks like two different colour bags. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see these pieces getting another chance at life. Love ya work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those fabrics! Just gorgeous. Such a good feeling to use the abandoned. To turn it in to something beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to use those pieces of fabric for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Katherine! They are pretty, I lovea the small pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought some fabric samples too from a rummage sale before and now I wish I bought all of them. I got a few though. Next time I guess! hehehe.. The pouches and bag are so cute. :)

    Adin B
    http://itssewtasticmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!