"Making it up as I go along"

could end up being the name of the quilt I'm designing for my newest niece.  I started by sketching out two different quilt designs.   I wanted to  do some improv style blocks and make a baby quilt that is somewhat unconventional in design.   So, it's been a combination of cut, piece and play, really.  Which means while I've been having fun, I've now made some blocks that are destined for another quilt.  It's all a part of the design process.  Try some ideas, see what you like, change things, try other ideas, see what you like... change things... until you arrive at something you REALLY like.

I'm making headway and keeping track of any changes as I go.   Just in case I ever want to make the same design again. ;o)

 Here's what I've decided to keep.  Each of these blocks are unique and if you can ignore the bit of painter's tape (my key to sewing the finished blocks in an order that I like) you will see that I made use of some tiny fabric scraps in several of the finished blocks.
I have a few more blocks to add and likely a bit of tweaking to do before the quilt top is complete.    I can't say that this is the fastest way to make a quilt, but it is fun!

Comments

  1. looking great and using up little scraps is awesome. I am working on an 'improve' 'make it as I go' quilt too. maybe I will post about this week too. hope you got out and enjoyed the sun today, wasn't it spectacular?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great way to make a quilt for a new niece. The improv style blocks look wonderful! Have fun playing along!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Cut, piece and play..." sounds like so much fun! And it's looking gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks - like the idea, something like the Gees Bend quilts I've just learned about. How wonderful to have quilters around who can make up patterns! Blessings, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these random quilts; i can never seem to pull them off lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making it up as you go is my motto! I think the best quilts are made this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderfully random - I love it!!

    Benta@SLIKstitces.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see the teeny little strips of fabric bits that you use up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks right up my alley! i love how your little quilt is taking shape. it's wonderful! and hurray for using up little bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We like it......mmmm.... it would seem that painter's tape is almost as useful as duct tape for completing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely and delicate and also suggests growth. Each block is wonderful. I know how long this takes. when inspiration is called upon, it doesn't always appear when called. But the result will always warm your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!