Spicy Snowflake Sachets

 
Ribbon embroidery, anyone?
Yes, please!
 
These Spicy Snowflake Sachets should deliver some seasonal cheer to the recipients!

I've been wanting to try ribbon embroidery for ages, so when I found myself needing 3 thank-you gifts this week, I decided to go for it!  It seemed the perfect opportunity to grab red ribbon, linen and a special button to make sachets. 

 
Stitching with ribbon is a little trickier than working with embroidery threads.  First difference is securing the ribbon for stitching (you don't tie the end into a knot and you also need to secure the end that passes through the eye of the needle before you can start embroidering your design).  Once  the ribbon has been secured, at both ends, you can start stitching.  Then you must watch for the ribbon twisting as you form stitches - not difficult to remedy (place your thumb under the ribbon as you gently pull the ribbon to form the stitch - the slack in the ribbon means you can untwist it as you stitch).  When the stitching is complete, you must take a couple of stitches into ribbon already stitched, on the wrong side of your work, to secure the ribbon (again - no knots!). 
Oh, and the other tricky bit was doing French knots.  There seemed to be a balance in how tightly you wrap the ribbon around the needle to form the knot - too tight and you won't have an easy time pushing the needle through - too loose and you won't form a French knot! I sorted it out though, and I have to say I love the way those ribbon French knots look.
 
For the back of the sachets I wanted to add a tag of some fashion.  I came up with simply using rubber stamps and a fabric marker to spell things out.
 
 
Each sachet is slightly different because I went free handed with the stamping, but I'm okay with the handmade look. ;o)

 
The finishing touch is dotted ribbon and a red button for each sachet.  The very best part though, is the mix I used to fill each sachet.  I combined whole spices, such as cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves and allspice, to create a very spicy scent for the sachets.  My sons say the sachets remind them of their favourite cookies, "Peppernuts"( the recipe I use has been with me since I was a 10 year old and copied from a neighbour who introduced me to this spicy, delicious cookie.)  Peppernuts are German in origin and known as Pfeffernusse cookies. 

 
I'm so happy with how these sachets look, that they stitch up quick and look (and smell) quite festive.  They could even double as ornaments, I'm thinking. I hope the recipients like them!
 
 
I'm linking up with Amanda Jean for
 
 
 
 


Comments

  1. Lovely. May have to give these a go! I have never thought of stitching with ribbon - very effective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous Katherine! Are they your own design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally gorgeous - really lovely!! I may have to try that technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable - the ribbon gives such a different (more dimensional, more ... substantial?) look than floss would - it almost seems magical that ribbon can go through fabric like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project and thanks for the mini tute/explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of spices you've added to your lovely sachets.
    Thank you for sharing with us =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! And I LOVE the stamping instead of a label! I'm totally stealing that idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. clever idea and they are just darling! Love the stamping too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sachets are so pretty. The recipients are going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was very interesting to learn more about. I have never seen ribbon embroidery. I think you did a terrific job on your sachets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was very interesting to learn more about. I have never seen ribbon embroidery. I think you did a terrific job on your sachets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sachets are simple and lovely. Beautiful gifts to give. Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who wouldn´t like to get them?
    You are doing the most cutiest things!
    Kram//Maja

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great! I've never tried ribbon embroidery, although I admire it a lot. Anyone would love receiving these pretty sachets/ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty...sew perfect looking! What a nice gift these will be to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely thank you gift in linen and red!
    I’ve never seen ribbon embroidery before, it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice Katherine! I love the stamping that you added.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous... I I love them. And I love that they are festive in fragrance too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! We just followed your lovely blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute and they must smell delicious! I love your stamping too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've been trying to guess the spices in the sachet!!! :) Now we know! Thanks for this again. :) We love it!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!